Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Eldritch: Halloween 005


Oh man guys, I’m sorry I couldn’t update last week. As the comic's disclaimer says: "Eldritch is done on the author’s free time, which means page quality will vary. In addition, updates may be missed if the author has a busy week or becomes ill. Should an update be missed, it will be at least a full week before more content will be posted. The author apologizes for the inconvenience." What can I say? I’m only one person, and my life got really messy.

The thing is, you know how after the Big Storm, I started whining about how my comp was acting up? Well, the hard drive was about to fail, and I found myself suddenly without a computer, and that meant I couldn’t even work on the comic, let alone update or let you guys know I was gone. Sometimes, I really miss having college computer labs at my disposal. Thankfully, aside from time, I didn’t lose anything important. But, add that hassle to my job and having to take my car into the shop for maintenance and that makes life… interesting.


I think I’ve mentioned before that Mapleveiw is based upon a few places I know and adore in real life, one of which loves Halloween. There is one town near where I grew up that goes insane for Halloween… We’re talking, ghosts and goblins rigged to fly across the street kind of insane. In fact, its general store has Halloween merchandise year-round, including a huge collection of masks. One of my earliest memories of Halloween memories is going into this store, being terrified by the masks, but receiving candy coins for trick or treating there. There’s no better way to convince a kid not to be scared of monsters than by conditioning it into thinking that it’s going to get candy every time it sees one.

The place has kind of always been our area’s own, private Cooger and Dark’s Carnival. I recall one Beggar’s Night, just before I graduated from High School, dressing up and walking from my friend’s place to the downtown, and even though the comic book shop and library, and other stores and businesses were long closed, we found the place swarmed with other folks my age, who weren’t out trick or treating, but dressed up and reveling there, spending long-saved lunch money on candied apples and caramel corn sold by vendors on the streets. In fact, it was in this town that I bought my first, and only latex werewolf mask.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm ... those two furries in the second panel look like they could be something you made, or were making at some point (having slightly browsed through some of your pictures on FA =^^= )

    Is it a sad thing that Pikachu was the first mask I noticed? ... I can also name most of them or where they would come from ... wow, sounds like I have no life :P ^^

    ReplyDelete